I founded codegreen as an Open Source project to help fight the climate crisis. It is currently in development as an Android App with a launch date in Q1/Q2 2020. Our goal is to provide consumers with an easy to use and free tool to make more informed purchase decisions. I believe that most people are aware of the climate crisis and very willing to adapt their behavior, but lack the knowledge what to actually do.
codegreen will simplify the complexity of CO2 emissions to produce consumer goods and food by giving instant and transparent feedback on the products right at the supermarket.
I’m doing this without any financial support in my free time. If you like what you read here and want to join the project, I’d be more than happy if you get in touch with me.
The following is taken from our codegreen slide deck which you can download below. I will update my blog with codegreen related posts regulary.
The Climate Crisis: People want change
- Population is very aware of the climate crisis
- Government is unable or unwilling to act according to the Paris Climate Agreement
- Industry isn’t focussed on sustainability
- Consumers are left alone looking for solutions
codegreen provides instant and detailed product feedback
The Product Database
- Easy to understand color coded CO2 footprint & environmental information
- Transparent Scoring Algorithm
- Product specific information: name, ingredients, images, vendor contact info etc.
- Recommendations for alternative products
- Powerful product search
- Personal triggers to customize to the consumers preferences
- Favorites, Blacklists & Whitelists
How it works
We believe codegreen can help fight the climate crisis. This is our single motivation.
codegreen encourages everybody to create innovative products that support our mission to fight climate change. We will share our product database as Open Data and give API access to
- every barcode
- all product information
- all manufacturer information
- the scoring system
As a positive side effect, we believe this helps build trust in the product and the project.
codegreen will be…
- free download
- no additional costs
- no in-app purchases / subscription
- no advertisements / paid content
Our main revenue streams will be:
- B2C: Donations
- B2B: API subscription, sponsoring
Feel free to download the slide deck here: